John Atlas is president and one of the founders of NHI. His recent book is Seeds of Change: The Story of ACORN, America’s Most Controversial Anti-Poverty Community Group (2010, Vanderbilt University Press).
ARTICLES IN SHELTERFORCE since jan 08
- A Gift of Hope: Peter Dreier’s Social Justice Hall of Fame
- Sowing Seeds of Change: Q&A with John Atlas
sat down recently with John Atlas, NHI board president and author of Seeds of Change: The Story of ACORN, America’s Most Controversial Antipoverty Community Organizing Group, to discuss the organization itself, as well as organizing on a national level, tensions between organizing and development, and lessons learned from the downfall of the once-powerful antipoverty organization.
- How Did the Media Fail ACORN and Organizing?
Organizing has been under attack for years, but this time around, the media has been directly complicit in severely damaging one of most influential advocates for low- and moderate-income families in the country. How did the media miss the real story behind the assault on ACORN?
- Occupied Owner: Our Lot, by Alyssa Katz
For decades, the United States government, pushed by its business partners in the financial and real estate world, “marched the nation into a delusion.” The fantasy is that we can create wealth for millions of homeowners by enriching investors, brokerage and mortgage companies and Wall Street bankers “to the fullest extent possible with few boundaries.”
- Note from the Board
- Mock the Vote
Since the Justice Department axed nine U.S. attorneys, all eyes have been on Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, but the scandal began with a GOP strategy to stifle grass-roots registration of poor minority voters.
POSTS ON ROOFLINES
- 4 Apr 13 · Deflating a GOP Double Standard
- 7 Mar 12 · Don’t Rewrite Andrew Breitbart’s Legacy
- 13 Dec 10 · In Maryland, Holding Anti-ACORN Activists Accountable
- 2 Aug 10 · In Chicago, a Partial Solution to the Foreclosure Crisis?
- 29 Apr 10 · What You Need To Know About Financial Reform
- 14 Dec 09 · Court Rules That Congress Unfairly Singled Out ACORN
- 9 Dec 09 · After the Politicking, Letís Remember ACORNís Vital Work
- 28 Sep 09 · What Is ACORN?
- 15 Sep 09 · We All Need to Join In The Presidentís Fight To Overhaul The Financial Industry
- 6 Sep 09 · Labor Day, Chris Christie, and the Employee Free Choice Act
- 20 Aug 09 · Karl Rove v. ACORN
- 7 Jul 09 · Franken, the Fourth of July, and Worker’s Rights
- 16 Apr 09 · Make Your Voice Heard
- 16 Mar 09 · Foreclosure Crisis: How Much Blame Falls On The Media?
- 21 Jan 09 · This Land Is Your Land
- 13 Jan 09 · Obamaís Challenge: Encourage Social Movements and Other Lessons From FDR and the Great Depression
- 12 Nov 08 · The Biggest Winners
- 23 Oct 08 · Uncage the Voters!
- 10 Oct 08 · Whoís Afraid of ACORN, and Why
- 9 Oct 08 · ACORN Under Fire, But Is It Justified?
- 3 Oct 08 · Whoís Pulling for Struggling Americans?
- 21 Sep 08 · Financial Implosion: 2nd Chance for Progressive Banking Reform?
- 18 Sep 08 · Community Organizers Help Turn the Tide
- 16 Sep 08 · Community Organizing: More than 15 Minutes of Fame
- 4 Sep 08 · GOP Credo: Less Government, No Community Organizing?
- 16 Jul 08 · New Jersey Regional Coalition Wins Affordable-Housing Victory