Keli A. Tianga
Keli A. Tianga is associate editor of Shelterforce magazine.
Email Keli at <a >Keli@nhi.org</a>
ARTICLES IN SHELTERFORCE since jan 08
- Keeping Everyone Afloat: Is Universal Basic Income the Answer?
Advocates and organizers who deal with the needs of the poor often say it’s not really a housing/food/training issue, it’s an income issue. So what would happen if we just addressed income?
- Financial Inclusion Begins With Our Tax Code
Changes to tax programs that support low-wage earners will strengthen gains made in the asset-building field.
- The Next Boom for Worker Co-ops?
Baby boomers are the largest percentage of business owners, and they’re headed toward retirement. The worker cooperative movement wants to keep the jobs they’ve created from disappearing.
- Serving the Community, In Their Language
From hiring priorities to translation headsets to special requests of the phone company—the exciting and important work of serving multicultural, multilingual populations.
- Staying Ahead of the Age Wave
Groups working with older adults, including many community developers, are crafting a range of creative interventions, from home modifications to service-enriched housing models, to allow seniors to age in place. Will it be enough?
- We Served Too
Women are an increasing percentage of veterans, and of homeless veterans—but their experiences of homelessness differ from their male counterparts, and so must the solutions.
- One Veteran’s Story
Michael Powell’s journey from childhood poverty to military service and subsequent struggle with addiction is probably not unlike thousands of others who have served; but in listening to his story, you realize that somewhere along the way it may have become more complicated than it needed to be. For people who are struggling with these demons, a clear lifeline to help is often the key that can be the difference between a struggle that lasts one year, five years, or a lifetime.
POSTS ON ROOFLINES
- 22 Sep 16 · “Your Lease Should Be Next to Your Bible,” #RentersDayofAction
- 3 Jun 16 · Did Amazon Really Just Create a Pop-up Homeless Shelter?
- 8 Oct 15 · Tackling Uncomfortable Issues, With Enthusiasm
- 23 Sep 15 · Community Development and Faith
- 3 Jun 15 · Serving the Community, In Their Language
- 30 Apr 15 · Affordable Housing Strikes Back
- 6 Apr 15 · Intergenerational Housing-The New Sharing Model?
- 12 Mar 15 · Bridging the Age Divide with Clicks, and Bricks
- 3 Mar 15 · Hard-Earned Victories Recognized by NLIHC
- 9 Jan 15 · “Inequality Happens?” Hopefully Not
- 24 Nov 14 · Historic, and Green, and Affordable, and at (Some) Scale?
- 13 Nov 14 · A Win for the CLT And Inclusionary Housing Community
- 7 Nov 14 · 2014 Elections: The Takeaway for Housing and Community Development Policy
- 29 Oct 14 · Two Years Later, Much More Work Remains
- 24 Oct 14 · Finding and Fostering Entreprenuerial Spirit in Underserved Communities